Due to recent economic developments and reforms in South East Europe, the region has experienced accelerated economic growth, new investments and growing lending rates. Indicators show significant improvements in asset quality and liquidity, which has given way to growth in the banking sector, while economic policy and reforms stimulate investor confidence with improved banking sector regulation and supervision. Although regional banks are generally liquid, well-capitalized and profitable, non-performing loans (NPLs) remain high and constrain bank lending capabilities. The banking sector also remains challenged by the legacy effects of the global financial crisis, however the continuous efforts of national governments to improve the business climate by harmonizing national legislation with the relevant EU regulations has significantly attracted both foreign and local capital investments. In addition, recent M&A activity in commercial banking, insurance, investment banking and asset management has made it clear that financial sector consolidation in the region is underway, with several notable deals taking place over the past several years, which has resulted in certain advantages such as risk diversification, the capacity to finance larger scale projects, stimulated financial activity and increased attention being given to policy development. This has further supported the growth potential of the regional economy by increasing banks earning capacity, their ability to effectively compete in relatively saturated markets and their capacity to fund large credit demands.
Areas of Service
SELA advises strategic investors, investment funds, banks, institutional investors and corporates on the full array of financial transactions. SELA’s member firms can guide your business through the local market idiosyncrasies and the intricacies of the regional banking and finance market and offers legal services in the areas of Banking M&A’s, capital markets, financial regulation, financial instruments, general lending, infrastructure finance, project finance, public-private partnerships (PPP), NPL portfolio services and restructuring and distressed transactions.
- Žurić i Partneri: "They really understand our business, not just from a legal perspective." – Chambers Europe 2018, Banking & Finance
- Dimitrijević & Partners: "They are very skilled and experienced in local regulations." – Chambers Europe 2018, General Business Law
- Žurić i Partneri: "Sources note the 'top-notch quality services' offered by the team and highlight them as 'extremely approachable and pleasant to be around'." – Chambers Europe 2017, Banking & Finance
- Dimitrov, Petrov & Co.: "Clients highlight the firm's 'thorough regulatory knowledge and excellent understanding of our strategic objectives', 'what we like best is their responsiveness - they are always available'. – Chambers Europe 2017, Restructuring / Insolvency
- "Dimitrov, Petrov & Co.'s team is 'exceptionally productive and precise'." – Legal 500 2017 – Banking and Finance
- Žurić i Partneri: "These lawyers are reliable and accurate, and have a pro-business perspective." – Chambers Europe 2016, Banking & Finance
- “Since its establishment in 1993, Žuric i Partneri has had ‘a strong focus on banking and finance’” – Legal 500 2016 – Banking, Finance and Capital Markets